Sunday, February 21, 2010

New Year, New Blog, and New Web Site

When I mentioned at a recent networking lunch that I was finally going to start a blog, the reaction was, "You're a writer, that will be easy". Oh -- really? As some of the quotations on my newly redesigned web site point out, writing is hard. And the whole point of having a blog is having something worthwhile to say, which is also hard. So here I am, staring at the computer screen, trying to come up with something worth reading.

I'm very excited about the new look of my web site. My web site diva is Arlene Levine of  Arlene Levine Design. Of course, we didn't just change the look, we also updated the content. And added all sorts of things for SEO (search engine optimization) as well as Google web analytics (so I can see if the SEO things actually work). I can now talk intelligently about meta tags and key words and other things that will help people find me on the web.

Arlene and I are big believers in "less is more" -- don't overwhelm your readers with too much stuff. So I looked at a lot of web sites and found ones I liked and ones I hated. (Bright colors, flashy things, and loud music were among the things I hated.) And I went through my files and found all of the resources I've been saving on SEO. There were almost as many recommendations on what to include as there were sources. But what they all agreed on is that the most important thing on your web site is content. It doesn't matter how many people you attract to your web site, what keeps them there is the content. Which is why I wrote and revised, and wrote and revised, and finally sent the content to Arlene. Of course I did some more revising once she got the words up.

So, check out the new web site and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment