Another long day -- our last full one. Our cousin Yeshai picked us up at 8 am this morning. Although it's Sunday, it's the Israel Monday and there was lots of traffic as everyone returned to work after a day off. Eventually made it to Tel Aviv. It rained off and on along the way but was bright and sunny when we arrived I took some photos along the highway -- didn't realize when we drove through here in the shuttle bus last Monday that this is actually Palestinian territory. What I thought was a toll booth is a checkpoint; what I though were sound barriers are bullet proof walls to protect the highway.
We're in a very nice little hotel about 5 minutes from our cousins' apartment. After checking in and dropping our bags, Yeshai drove us there. With cousin Lois and SIL Ruthi we went out to walk around Tel Aviv. They live at the corner of Rothschild Ave. which has a pedestrian walkway and bike path down the center. We walked through Neve Tzedeck, the first area of Tel Aviv, settled as people moved from Jaffa. There are lots of old buildings and fun shops. Next was the old train station, now full of more fun shops. And then we reached Jaffa -- more old buildings and fun shops. I chose a really beautiful piece of fiber art (much larger examples are in the photos) which is a Chanukah present from Kate and Sam (you can see it in the photos from the "we're home" blog. Lunch was at a restaurant featuring mezze (small plates). The table was covered, as you'll see in the photos. I finally got to see the Mediterranean. Jaffa is one of the oldest settlements in the area, dating back to Biblical times (Kate keeps saying think Jonah).
We took taxis back to the apartment. Kate and I did a little more exploring and then it was time for dinner at a lovely Italian restaurant, which of course put an Israeli spin on it (plus they were apparently filming a scene for a movie at the bar).
Tomorrow morning at 8 am, cousin Yeshai will pick us up and take us to the airport.
Day 7 photos
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment